The subject encyclopedia, with content consisting of relatively brief articles on specific topics related to a given common theme, issue or area of study, is a particular type of academic resource that is simultaneously intuitively familiar to users who already have experience with general/comprehensive encyclopedias, and somewhat obscure because of poor coverage in scholarly article databases and subject bibliographies. Since a subject encyclopedia article is necessarily an introduction to a topic, its utility may be limited. However, it may very well be the case that a researcher or student is largely unfamiliar with a particular field, and a brief, general introduction is exactly what they are looking for.
Beyond the ever-growing body of academic literature on anime and manga, these two terms, as well as several related concepts, have in fact received a fair amount of coverage in subject encyclopedias. The details of such coverage are detailed on this page. Entries for each specific encyclopedia consist of basic bibliographic details for the volume or set, and a listing of the individual articles, along with their page numbers and authors' names.
Because of the limited coverage of resources of this type in the standard academic databases, at this point, the main source for this list is Google Books and Google Scholar coverage. For a project of this type, Google Books' access to tables of contents, and to short sections of actual full-text content within the books it covers is particularly valuable.
Anime, manga, and other related topics in English-language subject encyclopedias and reference sources
(Last update: February 10, 2015)
Boy Culture: An Encyclopedia
(2010) Shirley Steinberg, Michael Kehler, & Linsday Cornish (Editors). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press
- Manga and anime (pp. 330-332)
Contemporary Youth Culture: An International Encyclopedia
(2005) Shirley Steinberg, Priya Parmar, & Birgit Richard (Editors). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press
- Lawrence Eng, Otaku (pp. 188-194)
- Michele Knobel and Colin Lankshear, Manga (pp. 194-197)
- Lien-Fan Shen, Anime (pp. 197-203)
Encyclopedia of Children, Adolescents, and the Media
(2007). Jeffrey Jensen Arnett (Editor). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Tamara Swenson, Anime (pp. 96-97)
- Tamara Swenson, Manga (Japanese comic books) (pp. 486-488).
Encyclopedia of Comic Books and Graphic Novels
(2010). M. Keith Booker (Editor). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press
- Pascal Lefevre, Barefoot Gen (pp. 46-47)
- Nhu-Hoa Nguyen, Buddha (pp. 74-76)
- Wendy Goldberg, Lone Wolf and Cub (pp. 367-368)
- Robert O'Nale, Manga (pp. 378-387)
- Nhu-Hoa Nguyen, Ozamu Tezuka (pp. 632-633)
Encyclopedia of Contemporary Japanese Culture
(2002). Sandra Buckley (Editor). London: Routledge.
- Mark Driscoll, Anime (pp. 17-19)
- Sandra Buckley, Manga (pp. 295-298)
- Sharalynn Orbaugh & Sandra Buckley, Otaku (pp. 379-380)
Encyclopedia of Erotic Literature
(2006). Gaetan Brulotte & John Phillips (Editors). New York: Routledge.
- Mark McLelland, Manga (pp. 849-851)
- Marc McHarry, Yaoi (pp. 1145-1147)
The Encyclopedia of Fantasy
(1999). John Clute & John Grant (Editors). New York: St. Martin's Press.
- Richard Middleton, Anime (p. 34)
Encyclopedia of Literature and Science
(2002). Pamela Gossin (Editor). Westport, CT: Greenwood.
- Pamela Gossin, Anime (pp. 12-13)
- Pamela Gossin, Manga (p. 268)
Encyclopedia of Modern Asia
(2002). Karen Christensen & David Levinson (Editors). Great Barrington, MA: Berkshire Publishing.
- Michael Ashkenazi & Francesca Forrest, Anime (Volume 1, p. 108)
- Michael Ashkenazi, Manga (Volume 4, p. 34)
Encyclopedia of Religion and Film
(2011). Eric Michael Mazur (Editor). Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- James Mark Shields, Hayao Miyazaki (pp. 320-323)
Encyclopedia of Women in Today's World
(2011). Mary Zeiss Strange, Carol K. Oyster, & Jane E. Sloan (Editors). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
- Allison Alexy, Anime (pp. 70-71)
- Ayako Mizumura, Manga (pp. 891-893)
Girl Culture: An Encyclopedia
(2008). Claudia Mitchell & Jacqueline Reid-Walsh (Editors). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Katynka Z. Martinez, Girls, Digital Culture and New Media (pp. 94-100)
- Maya Yampolsky, Manga and anime fan culture (pp. 418-423)
- Nancy Lesko, Miyazaki's anime girls (pp. 437-438)
- Hoi Cheu, Sailor Moon (pp. 515-516)
The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Folktales and Fairy Tales
(2008) Donald Haase (Editor). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- B. Grantham Aldred, Amano, Yoshitaka (pp. 30-31)
- Jeana Jorgensen, Miyazaki, Hayao (pp. 630-632)
- Mizuno, Junko
Books and Beyond: The Greenwood International Encyclopedia of New American Reading
(2008) Kenneth Womack (Editor). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press
- Gilles Poitras, Manga and anime (pp. 600-612)
Continuum Complete International Encyclopedia of Sexuality
(2003) Robert Francouer & Raymond Noona (Editors). New York: Continuum
- Timothy Perper and Martha Cornog, Sex, love and women in Japanese comics (pp. 663-671)
Major 21st-Century Writers
(2005) Tracey Matthews & Tracy Watson (Editors). Detroit: Gale
- Tezuka, Osamu (1928-1989)
Articles in Other Reference Sources
Cambridge Companion to Modern Japanese Culture
(2009) Yoshio Sugimoto (Editor). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press
- Craig Norris, Manga, anime, and visual art culture (pp. 236-260)
- Ross Mouer and Craig Norris, Exporting Japan's culture: From management style to manga (pp. 325-368)
Routledge Companion to Religion and Film
(2009) Joyn Lyden (Editor). Abington, UK: Routledge
- Jolyon Baraka Thomas, Religion in Japanese film: Focus on anime (pp. 194-213)
Routledge Companion to Science Fiction
(2009) Mark Bould, Andrew Butler, Adam Roberts & Sherryl Vint (Editors). New York: Routledge
- Sharalynn Orbaugh, Manga and anime (pp. 112-122)
Routledge Handbook of Japanese Culture and Society
(2011) Victoria Bestor, Theodore Bestor, with Akiko Yamagata (Editors). New York: Routledge
- Susan Napier, Manga and anime: Entertainment, Big Business, and art in Japan (pp. 226-237)
Women in Science Fiction and Fantasy
(2009) Robin Anne Reid (Editor). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press
- Eden Lee Lackner, Anime and manga (pp. 123-134)